CANopen – The standardized embedded network
CANopen is a CAN-based communication system. It comprises higher-layer protocols and profile specifications. CANopen has been developed as a standardized embedded network with highly flexible configuration capabilities. It was designed originally for motion-oriented machine control systems, such as handling systems. Today it is used in various application fields, such as medical equipment, off-road vehicles, maritime electronics, railway applications, or building automation.
CANopen™ Fieldbus conforms to the ISO 11898 international standard, promoted by the CAN in Automation association, which consists of users and manufacturers and offers an excellent assurance of open access and interoperability due to its standardized devices and communication profiles. Schneider Electric has chosen CANopen to equip machines and installations, because of its functional capabilities and of its advantages for automation.
The CANopen bus is a vendor-independent, multi-master bus which ensures reliable deterministic access to real-time data in control system devices. The CSMA/CA protocol is based on broadcast exchanges, sent cyclically or on an event, which ensures optimum use of the passband. A message handling channel can also be used to define slave parameters. The bus uses a double-shielded twisted pair, on which 127 devices maximum are connected by simple tap junctions. The variable data rate between 10 Kbps and 1 Mbps depends on the length of the bus (between 30 and 5000 m).
- A complete range for machine automation allows the user to select equipment depending on the automation needs:
• Controller: Twido, TSX Micro, Modicon Premium, Modicon M340, Altivar 71-IMC, Modicon 238/258, LMC058, Magelis XBT, LMC300/400/600, LMC101/201
• I/O: Modicon OTB, STB, TM5, TM7
• Motor control: TeSys U, TeSys T
• Drives: Altivar 312, 32, 61, 71 family
• Motion Lexium 05, Lexium 23, Lexium 32, TwinLine family
• Sensor: Osicoder
• Safety: XPS-MC
• Range available on IP20 and IP67
• Compacts machines and installations
• Distributed machines and installations